[sdiy] Fixed filter bank questions

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Thu May 9 00:50:01 CEST 2019

Thanks, Tom!  That was exactly the sort of response I was hoping for.  I
will definitely consider changing the frequencies as suggested by Rod
Elliott.  I have followed his advice in many of the circuits I have
designed, and have never been disappointed in the results of doing so.
Plus, it did seem to me that many of the knobs on the YuSynth design gave
some pretty hissy results, based on the videos I watched.  Indeed, the most
important knob on the whole panel is the LP (88 Hz) one, which gives a very
pleasant and deeply resonant bass.

Concerning tolerances, presuming that I only build one of these (at least at
first) then I will probably hand-select the capacitors to ensure roughly 1%
tolerances.  I know that the exact frequencies don't actually make that much
difference, but I want them to be as close as possible to the values
advertised on the front panel -- I guess you could call it a matter of
principle.  I also want the specific frequency choices to be based on some
rational pattern and not just semi-random like the Moog ones.  It seems to
me that if the resonant peaks all overlap in the same manner, it should lead
to better performance of the overall filter bank.  (But, I could be smoking
crack.)

Having said all that, don't ya just love the idea of these filter banks?
The idea that something so electronically simple can have such smashing
sonic results?  This is why I build synthesizers.