[sdiy] Fixed filter bank questions

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Tue May 14 00:21:15 CEST 2019

On Mon, 13 May 2019, David G Dixon wrote:
> What I don't understand is, in 2019, with everything highly automated, why
> are capacitors still subject to 10% tolerances, or even 5% tolerances?  If
> the plates are made exactly the same way by the same machine from the same
> material, and the coatings are applied in exactly the same way, etc, etc,

On the contrary, I don't think the basic process of manufacturing
capacitors has changed much since the 1960s - they are still made by the
same kind of machines out of the same kind of materials - so why should we
expect those processes to give much different results today?  Automation
isn't magic, and it's likely to be used to reduce costs rather than to
tighten tolerances, if the market seems to prioritize price.

--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before tribes.