[sdiy] VU meter algorithms

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 20:15:31 CET 2019

Exactly...  The Nyquist Shannon Sampling Theorem says that twice the
bandwidth is sufficient to *reconstruct* the original band-limited
continuous-time signal.  But it says nothing about how much processing is
required to get back to the continuous-time signal, or determining various
metrics about that signal like peak amplitude.  So if peaks occur between
the samples, (which is almost guaranteed to happen because why would the
peaks in the audio signal decide to line up with regular samples) then you
will always under-estimate the peak amplitude.  As you said at the Nyquist
frequency your peak amplitude measurement could under-estimate by up to 100%
depending on the relative phase of the signal being sampled.  So if you
don't want to drastically under-estimate the peak amplitude of
high-frequency signals you are either going to need to sample the analogue
signal at a much higher sample rate _OR_ up-sample (interpolate) the data
that you have to find the inter-sample peaks.

The LED display update rate (largely determined by human persistence of
vision) and the audio sample-rate are un-related in my opinion.  So you can
freely choose both of them in order to satisfy each ones requirements.

After trying to design a high-speed precision analogue rectifier recently,
(and even after pinching every neat idea on Rod Elliot's site about
precision absolute value circuits,) I would have to say that this is one of
the rare instances where I would disagree with Scott G.  In my opinion it's
easier to rectify signals in the digital domain where mathematical
operations are perfect, and not plagued by diode voltage drops,
non-linearities and op-amp slew rates!

Tom, what do you actually want your "VU meter" LED bargraph to tell you Tom?
Is it:

1. A visual indication of perceived volume.
2. An indication of the peak level of the continuous-time analogue input
waveform.
3. An indication of whether your ADC clipped.

The first option (1) has loads of options for different "ballistics" using
various attack and release times and is what I believe an original VU meter
was designed to show.  You can play about with all sorts of options like RMS
smoothing, A-weighting, etc, and this is the sort of thing that the BBC uses
to match the perceived volume of various different programme material being
broadcast.

The second and third options are peak reading meters, but are subtly
different.  Number 3 doesn't care about inter-sample overs because if they
didn't occur at a sampling instant then they didn't cause clipping, and
won't cause clipping unless you do some subsequent interpolation, phase
shifting or filtering.  Number 2 does care about peaks that occur between
samples, and needs to use some sort of interpolation to estimate
inter-sample levels and indicate them accordingly.

One popular digital level meter option seems to be to use a bargraph with
some attack/decay time-constants chosen to give it a nice feel, along with a
clipping LED at the top that latches on for a couple of seconds if the peak
level reaches 0dB relative to full-scale.

Hope this is helpful,

-Richie,