[sdiy] VU meter algorithms

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Mar 18 18:33:17 CET 2019

Well, quite.

The short answer is “far higher than any reasonable LED update rate”.

If we assume 20KHz as the highest input frequency, then obviously my 40KHz sample rate is inadequate because we might sample at the zero crossings each time. Updating the LEDs at 100Hz would be more than enough (flicker at that speed is already perceived as “variable brightness”) but such a rate is hopeless as a sample rate.

But it’s worth pointing out that we’re trying to imitate something that was originally done with moving coil meters and which had quite considerable lag (300msecs attack and decay from what I can find out). So how hard can it be?!