[sdiy] [OT] My Scope Saga

Adam Inglis 21pointy at tpg.com.au
Mon Mar 18 01:25:50 CET 2019

> On 18 Mar 2019, at 9:56 AM, Brian Willoughby <brianw at audiobanshee.com> wrote:
>
> I think it’s kinda funny, because sometimes I repair vintage synths for local musicians, but I have to look to someone else to get my ‘scope repaired.

I’ve recently finished repairing a 50 year old CRO. There were a variety of (mostly power related problems) but the area that really stumped me was the high voltage circuit for the CRT itself. I had no experience with this type of circuit and no way of testing the high voltages. I made a divide-by-10 test probe, took a voltage measurement at virtually every point on the schematic and muddled through, ended up virtually rebuilding the entire HT circuits either side of the coils, and eventually got those electrons hitting the screen in a coherent way. Took a couple of years between all the other jobs….

Adam