[sdiy] [OT] My Scope Saga

Tim Ressel timr at circuitabbey.com
Sat Mar 16 17:37:19 CET 2019

Hi All,

Slightly off topic, but hey, test equipment is part of a balanced
breakfast er I mean DIY.

My Owon scope died. I went to fire it up and it made this sizzling
sound. No magic smoke, no awful smell of burning components, just an odd
sound. And no workie of course. What a sinking feeling. You can get
around much of your gear breaking, but a scope is special.

Tore it apart and saw a puffy capacitor on the power supply. Sigh, this
is not the first time I've has something go bad with popped caps. I has
an Nvidia video card with several popped caps. My vintage HP meter
needed re-capping.

I could have just ordered up a replacement capacitor but I found a
replacement power supply for $50. I'll still get the parts just in case
my ebay power supply find is wonky. Plan B and all.

I paid $429 for my Owon SDS7102 2-ch 100MHz scope in Nov 2012. 6+ years;
not a bad run for a b-list scope. Today you can get a Siglent SDS1202X-E
2-Ch 200MHz scope for $379. It almost makes the $50 I spent on a power
supply silly. If I had the cabbage I would have gone for it. The extra
bandwidth would have been nice. Or I could have gotten a 4-channel
100MHz for $499. A guy can dream.

Thanks for watching. End of line.
**

--