[sdiy] Using 2164 with single supply

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sat Mar 9 04:39:31 CET 2019

Hey Team!

I want to use 2164 to build a VCA for a circuit-bending application, where
the circuit only has a single supply.  Of course, I want to use 2164, and
the datasheet shows how to use it in single supply mode.  However, it
specifies a minimum rail voltage of +8V.  The thing I want to circuit-bend
(a Marantz cassette deck) runs off of a 4.5V supply.

So, I guess my question is, why couldn't I run the 2164 (and any associated
opamps) from a 4.5V supply?  Does anyone have any insight into why +V must
be at least +8V?