[sdiy] Delays and companders

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Tue Mar 5 12:31:03 CET 2019

No, I totally hear what you're saying and agree.  Analogue feel
definitely has its place.

It just seemed ironic to have a modern ADC + micro/RAM + DAC chain as a
"supervisory circuitry" around an analogue BBD delay line just to delay
the compander CV!  When a digital audio delay could be done with almost
the same circuitry and remove the need for the BBDs and the companders.

I'm personally all for modelling the quirks and flaws of analogue
technology digitally if they genuinely contribute to the "user
experience" of a particular piece of kit.  Clearly in the case of a
Minimoog or tonewheel organ the analogue quirks often get omitted from
the digital model, and the end-user experience falls short of what's
expected.

-Richie,