[sdiy] Delays and companders

Ben Bradley ben.pi.bradley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 22:16:24 CET 2019

You're obviously making a little fun of this, but it's remarkable how
much we use specific things (even specific part numbers for BBDs)
because of "the sound" they give.

I had a Minimoog decades ago. I had read an article in Keyboard
Magazine that the filter input starts to distort if you turn an
oscillator's mixer level past 8, so I always kept it at 8 rather than
going to 10. But (what seemed unrelated at the time) I didn't feel I
was satisfied with the sounds I got out of the thing.

I've experienced and heard of lots of examples of this, some more
subtle than others. I recently heard of "real" Hammond player coming
in to a showroom, playing the modern Hammond/Suzuki keyboards with
electronically generated tones, and after a couple minutes saying "the
sound just isn't there" compared to the old Hammonds with the original
mechanical tonewheel generators.