[sdiy] Delays and companders

Tim Ressel timr at circuitabbey.com
Mon Mar 4 19:07:27 CET 2019

Hi,

In making a BBD delay often a compander is used to reduce noise. One
schematic had a clever circuit that used one rms-dc block to run both
the compressor and expander VCAs. This would make sense in a non-delay
circuit. But in a delay where the output is not time aligned with the
input, is it the right thing to do? It seems to me you want completely
separate compressor and expander circuits with their own rms-dc blocks.
Say a pair of 4305s from That Semi. Or am I in the weeds here?

--
--Tim Ressel
Circuit Abbey
timr at circuitabbey.com