[sdiy] op amp directly connected to ADC

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 21:06:12 CEST 2019

I always put an RC filter between the op-amp output and the ADC input.  It
potentially serves several purposes:

1. The capacitor provides a reservoir of local stored charge for the ADC
when it's sample & hold capacitor needs to charge up quickly.
2. The resistive part decouples the op-amp's output from the ADC input
minimising the effect of the sampling on the op-amp output.
3. The resistive part can limit the current through clamping diodes if the
op-amp output is capable of going beyond the input range of the ADC.
4. The RC filter provides one pole of anti-aliasing filtering for the ADC.
(This includes stopping all the broadband noise generated by the op-amp from
aliasing into the ADC's passband.)
5. The resistor limits the resulting fault current if a microcontroller's
ADC input is accidentally misconfigured as a digital output!

In practice I'm fond of using the MFB filter arrangement for driving ADC
inputs, so the overall anti-aliasing filter is typically at least 3rd order.
Two poles (slightly under-damped) from the MFB and a further pole from the
RC before the signal reaches the ADC, for a 3rd order combined response that
is close to Butterworth.

With low-speed ADCs and op-amps you can certainly get away without putting
an RC filter between the op-amp output and the ADC input, but it gets more
important when you used faster ADC.  For example most multi-megasample RF
ADCs require a low and controlled impedance driving them if their
sample-and-hold system is going to settle quickly to within one LSB in the
tiny time available.  Op-amps typically have a rising output impedance with
increasing frequency so eventually you have to put some capacitance across
the input of the ADC to keep the source impedance down.  But most op-amps
don't like capacitance connected directly across their output and will tend
to overshoot and ring.  Hence the arrival at a 1st order RC filter.

Another time when it's important to put a capacitor across the ADC input is
when it's driven directly from a potentiometer.  In this case the source
impedance varies widely from very low at both ends of the track, to a
maximum of R/4 in the middle of the track.  The capacitor helps to ensure a
nice low source impedance for the ADC regardless of pot wiper position.  As
an aside, the capacitor will also "hold" the previous wiper voltage if the
wiper momentarily goes over a dirty patch on the track, which is usually
less objectionable than the ADC input voltage momentarily dropping to zero!

Hope this helps answer your question.

-Richie,