[sdiy] Roland/Boss "long chip" RDD63H101

Adam Inglis 21pointy at tpg.com.au
Sun Jul 14 01:57:36 CEST 2019

> On 14 Jul 2019, at 12:51 AM, el macaco <elmacaco at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have an RSD-10 here.
>
> It’s fun.  Feeding back the audio to the control input is fun chaos.
>
> You are pretty hardcore if you can mod a stomp of delay into a sampler!

Ha! Yeah, from looking at the schematics I had it roughly sketched out, but it was going to be a bit of work. As it turned out, I didn’t need to. A RSD-10 showed up in Japan for $200 so I grabbed it. Quite expensive but as Sean said, they’ve become a bit “cult”.

And as you say, they are great fun. I’ve got my DX-7 putting a fairly pure sine wave into the control input, and the tracking is actually really good - you can pitch bend within the sample playback - and there’s maybe a 4 octave range. And the “velocity” control, via the expander chip, gives useful dynamics.

> Those rack delay samplers from Korg and Roland might offer something with the pitch control input.
> Possibly have less noise and more time.

It was messing with CV control of my Korg and Roland racks that got me all excited about old digital delays (again!) and lead me to this thing. Sending it an aux out from the mixer I can just grab stuff on the fly and jam with it. Sending midi to the DX-7 gives me repeatable results if I chance upon something that works. Hours fly by!

> Hip hop pioneer Marley Marl used 2 Korg SDD delay units in the sample mode triggered from his 808 for years, but probably more straight ahead sample triggering not real-time pitch control.

Yeah that’s the kind of instant gratification these things are good at!