[sdiy] eagle.go Euro panel application (was Re: Anyone alive?)

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sun Jul 14 01:21:07 CEST 2019

On Jul 12, 2019, at 10:09 PM, john slee <indigoid at oldcorollas.org> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Perhaps, yes.
>
> Perpendicular panels are indeed unsupported, and while I've considered it, I don't intend to build any more modules that way, so I probably won't bother. Would need a Z-offset attribute on each relevant component, and a global attribute indicating which edge of the board the panel was to be attached to. I don't think any other inputs would be required, unless the component origin was inexplicably off-centre.

I’m thinking it would be a lot of work to support. Probably not worth the effort. Besides, it would seem to require support in Eagle for things like Z-offset, otherwise you’re back to the original problem where changes aren’t synchronized.

> Are you building modules in the Doepfer style, with Cliff jacks and 16mm pots on opposing sides of the board?

I haven’t looked too closely at how Doepfer does it, other than to note that they have many perpendicular PCB mounts in their product line.

I’m not using opposing sides of the board, because that seems like it would make automated assembly tricky. I just put everything on the same side of the board: LED indicators, jacks, rotary encoders, potentiometers, buttons, switches and even ethernet and USB jacks. When you have a mix of a half dozen or more categories of panel-mount interface parts, it becomes rather difficult to find them all in the same height for parallel PCB-to-panel mounting. Except for skiff compatibility, I find this much easier to deal with.

My current design project involves 2 stacked parallel boards with a display that can’t be mounted perpendicular, plus additional perpendicular boards with jacks and LED indicators. Thus, the front panel is wider than the parallel PCB to allow room for the perpendicular boards.

Brian