[sdiy] continuous tuning of analog oscillators

ulfur hansson ulfurh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 16:10:26 CEST 2019

also - in terms of generating waveforms digitally - i guess i’m much too enamoured with the alchemy of transistors, so it kinda takes the fun out for me... no gripes against digital at all though!!! i also do a lot of work in supercollider 😻

i wish there was a divide down technique that wasnt phase locked. maybe bernie hutchins phase modulation circuit could liven things up a little, but it would grow big quite fast and not really provide the solution im looking for...

Sent from outer space

> On Jul 11, 2019, at 14:05, ulfur hansson <ulfurh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> DCO’s might be a good enough solution, but also has a host of problems to work through on its own... are there any good modern DCO examples/implementations out there?
>
> also - looks like korg figured out a way to pack the micros into a tiny enough space to be worth the trouble - i wonder how the new moog one handles tuning, perhaps a similar approach?
>
> Sent from outer space
>
>> On Jul 11, 2019, at 13:28, Jacob Watters <jacobwatters at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you want to tune the oscillators continuously anyway, then why not use DCOs? The signal is still analog, and the pitch is perfectly controlled without the extra sampling and tuning code.
>>
>> Jacob Watters
>> JacobWatters.com
>> Tel: 226-886-3526
>>

>>> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 5:03 PM ulfur hansson <ulfurh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> hello list,
>>>
>>> I have a really nice synth voice up and running on my bench, and have always dreamt of making my own poly.
>>>
>>> all parameters are voltage controlled, but the tuning is... well... not perfect.
>>>
>>> currently I'm quite happy to omit oscillator FM, so in theory the oscillators would not "need" any modulation other than PWM.
>>>
>>> autotune feels a bit archaic at this point, so i'm wondering - a tiny microcontroller listening for zero crossings should be able to adjust the frequency of each oscillator for near perfect tuning, no?
>>>
>>> so far, i sadly haven't developed the skills required for digital solutions - but I wonder how crazy it would really be to implement something like this - can anyone think of a project / reading material that could help guide the way towards creating a tiny (preferably REALLY small) ADC/DAC listener circuit that could correct the resulting frequency of a sawtooth oscillator?
>>>
>>> it would be amazing to put 8 of these voices together with perfect tuning without any divide down or stepped interval solutions...... but then again it would also mean i'd need at least 16 micros to listen to all the oscillators at once!!
>>>
>>> any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, or even better yet - if someone would be interested in a collaborative effort, i'd be happy to send hand soldered smd prototypes between continents if necessary!
>>>
>>> many thanks,
>>> -úlfur
>>>
>>> --
>>> cargocollective.com/ulfur