[sdiy] continuous tuning of analog oscillators

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed Jul 10 23:50:26 CEST 2019

The “at least 16 micros to listen to all the oscillators at once” is exactly why most analog polys haven’t done it this way and have instead used an autotune routine that works out corrected DAC/CV values that the system can use to get accurate notes. Since (we assume) the behaviour of the oscillators is reasonably stable in the short term, you don’t *need* to be retuning continuously.

Since your “listeners” would have to know what frequency they were supposed to be seeing, they would have to be sent information about what the correct frequency was supposed to be, including any modulations. And presumably you’ve already got some “brain” in the synth that is already sending that information to a DAC to go to the voices, so now it has to send it to two places instead of one. Why not just use that brain to do the tuning correction at source rather than add it on as an afterthought. And that’s what an “autotune” routine is.

Tom

       Electric Druid
Synth & Stompbox DIY