[sdiy] continuous tuning of analog oscillators

ulfur hansson ulfurh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 23:02:04 CEST 2019

hello list,

I have a really nice synth voice up and running on my bench, and have
always dreamt of making my own poly.

all parameters are voltage controlled, but the tuning is... well... not
perfect.

currently I'm quite happy to omit oscillator FM, so in theory the
oscillators would not "need" any modulation other than PWM.

autotune feels a bit archaic at this point, so i'm wondering - a tiny
microcontroller listening for zero crossings should be able to adjust the
frequency of each oscillator for near perfect tuning, no?

so far, i sadly haven't developed the skills required for digital solutions
- but I wonder how crazy it would really be to implement something like
this - can anyone think of a project / reading material that could help
guide the way towards creating a tiny (preferably REALLY small) ADC/DAC
listener circuit that could correct the resulting frequency of a sawtooth
oscillator?

it would be amazing to put 8 of these voices together with perfect tuning
without any divide down or stepped interval solutions...... but then again
it would also mean i'd need at least 16 micros to listen to all the
oscillators at once!!

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, or even better yet - if someone
would be interested in a collaborative effort, i'd be happy to send hand
soldered smd prototypes between continents if necessary!

many thanks,
-úlfur

ulfurhansson.com
cargocollective.com/ulfur