[sdiy] Anyone alive?

john slee indigoid at oldcorollas.org
Wed Jul 10 15:08:10 CEST 2019

I am also still here. I was working on a PCB layout recently and finally
got sufficiently frustrated at the effort involved in making a
corresponding front panel that I decided to do something about it. I wrote
a little command-line application that:

1. reads your Autodesk Eagle XML board files (only XML, not the older file
format)
2. finds the board outline and determines what width Eurorack panel you need
3. looks for components with PANEL_DRILL_MM attributes and saves their
names/locations/sizes
4. creates a new Eagle board file of appropriate Eurorack dimensions, with
system holes, based on Dieter Doepfer's specs
5. adds holes and legend text to the generated board file

>From this point you can load the generated (front panel) board file into
Eagle and use it to emit Gerbers.

It was surprisingly easy to do! My real goal here was to have panel file
generation be a step that can be quickly run again and again while working
on a project — to eliminate the kinds of errors (eg. moving a pot slightly
but forgetting to make a corresponding panel adjustment) I'd made
previously when generating panel files manually with QCAD or Front Panel
Designer. I think it worked out well. I ordered some boards from Seeed and
when they arrived the only problems I found were where I had specified the
wrong hole size!

https://github.com/jsleeio/go-eagle

Hopefully this is useful for other folks also.

John