[sdiy] Where are we ? - Q3 2019 Edition

Hugh Blemings hugh at blemings.org
Wed Jul 10 09:50:45 CEST 2019

Hi Peter, All,

I've mulled this over a few times and hit upon the just first name/nick
name compromise for a couple of reasons.

* It's simple for me to maintain
* It provides enough info for people to contact each other via the list
or by searching archives ("Hey Fred from Melbourne, email me off list,
let's chat about ladder filters")
* It avoids any significant issues with privacy

To elaborate on this last point:  It pains me to acknowledge it, but it
would be fairly easy for someone to spoof an email from a list member
asking for all "their" details to be put on the map and I would have no
real way of verifying the bonafides.  This could lead to all sorts of
potentially awkward or unpleasant outcomes.

This is I grant you unlikely and it's a shame that these sorts of
considerations are even necessary, but I'd rather avoid completely by
keeping the data minimal.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious - I am open to further discourse on this
on or off list.

Kind Regards,
Hugh