[sdiy] Why do LCDs die?

Tony Kalomiris weplar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 09:11:17 CET 2019

Right, and you'd also think the HCTLS would make things better than
standard LS (more drive as noted in Samsung 1990 High Speed CMOS Databook).
But faster is not necessarily better as you point out, especially with
drop-in solutions of old electronics (Asxxxx for CEM, as some reported.)

Thanks for clearing up the confusion, I should have re-read your website
instead of relying on my ever more unreliable memory, in hindsight. (do
not assume anything  => golden rule in sdiy).
Now it all makes sense. Things are not so bad right now that it needs
replacing , but it's good to know there is a solution, if and when I do
decide to do it.
That was some good troubleshooting. Nice work. And thanks for explaining
things that you worked on a long time ago.

Happy New Year to all, and may all your lcd segments be nice and readable !

Tony K