[sdiy] Fatar Keyboard wiring diagram vs. Pratt-Reed Keyboard

Terry Shultz thx1138 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 23 17:28:50 CET 2019

Hi Brian,

I have not yet had a technical discussion with Fatar, only a business conversation with them after the last NAMM show.

I have taken the M-Audio 5-octave units apart to see the mounting and electrical interface.

Fatar is willing to engage but the price is a bit steep as I am being asked to get more than I can use for my limited run of units.

The E-Mu patent was done in 1976 and the Pratt-Reed Keyboard done for E-mu’s requirements.

E-Mu was involved in the design of the Sequential Prophet 5 and the same keyboard as the Oberheim 4/8 voice was used.

My license of the patent allowed me to build the Poly Keyboard controller for my own products.

Building something new is an option, but I have Keyboard PCB’s already built for a limited production run of 25 based upon the E-Mu 4060
Modular design and I would like to finish off these units first as the wooden cases and metalwork are finished some time back.

A midi to CV/Gate design is my next goal but I might be willing to OEM a unit if it meets my channel count needs and software functions.

I just wanted to see the Fatar pinout to prototype a unit and see a schematic.

I have Steinway weighted keypads in mind for a higher end Time of flight unit like the PPG PRK I worked on at PPG Hamburg. Walter Kluge
in Wuppertal Germany builds these units, but Steinway has since acquired the Keyboard action company.

I am not sure I will be able to acquire any more units from Walter Kluge.

I still have 3 Wooden actions still in stock but I am reluctant to use if I unable to negotiate a deal. I’ll look into Harris and Allan Organs as a possible
alternative source of keypads.

Paul Schreiber may have some inputs on this as well. Will discuss with him and see what he thinks.

Thanks for your thoughts and note.

best regards,

Terry Shultz