[sdiy] STM32MP1

MTG grant at musictechnologiesgroup.com
Fri Feb 22 19:22:35 CET 2019

Yikes. I think anyone in this business (making musical instruments or
accessories) using a micro of any kind should have a pretty decent
understanding of Real-Time Embedded Systems Programming.  A goldmine of
information, examples, philosophies on this kind of thing can be found
in the first decade of the print magazine, Embedded Systems Programming.
I have a CD somewhere but heck if I can find it. Their series, "Inside a
Real-Time Kernel" really changed *everything* for me.  I have a feeling
the publisher has crushed the magazine content online because it's very
hard to find.

Probably FreeRTOS has some great info too, but as I've never used it I
can't say for sure. A quick glance shows this. And yes a lot of hardware
choices, in and outside the CPU affect whether a system can be (hard-)
real time.

"The scheduler in a Real Time Operating System (RTOS) is designed to
provide a predictable (normally described as deterministic) execution
pattern. This is particularly of interest to embedded systems as
embedded systems often have real time requirements. A real time
requirements is one that specifies that the embedded system must respond
to a certain event within a strictly defined time (the deadline). A
guarantee to meet real time requirements can only be made if the
behaviour of the operating system's scheduler can be predicted (and is
therefore deterministic).

Traditional real time schedulers, such as the scheduler used in
FreeRTOS, achieve determinism by allowing the user to assign a priority
to each thread of execution. The scheduler then uses the priority to
know which thread of execution to run next. In FreeRTOS, a thread of
execution is called a task."

https://www.freertos.org/about-RTOS.html