[sdiy] sync conditioning/simple triangle oscillator without linear voltage control

David Moylan dave at expeditionelectronics.com
Fri Feb 22 19:08:45 CET 2019

This issue has been tread a lot in the realm of guitar "octavers",
mainly octave down effects, and guitar synthesizers.  The most popular
circuit for guitar octavers seems to be the peak detector circuits
rather than zero crossing detection.   Google the schematic for the Boss
OC-2 for that type.  Some guitar synthesizers like Roland's GR-300 used
zero crossing detection, but had separate processing per string which
makes the job easier since you only need good tracking for ~2 octaves.
They also used filters that would switch center frequency based on the
detected pitch.

The OC-2 method is certainly more economical circuitry-wise.  I've been
curious lately about the history of that variable threshold detector.
Earliest use I could find seems to be the ElectroHarmonix Octave
Multiplexer from the seventies, but couldn't find any patents related to
it.  Anyone know of earlier instances of the same or similar circuits?

úlfur, beautiful looking instrument, BTW.

Dave

David Moylan
Expedition Electronics
sonic adventures!