[sdiy] sync conditioning/simple triangle oscillator without linear voltage control

ulfur hansson ulfurh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 17:56:45 CET 2019

hello richie,

I already have constructed an instrument that works quite well, using high
powered class D amplifiers and custom wound electromagnets to induce
feedback in an acoustic set of strings. here is a brief description of my
harp, along with demo recordings;
https://ulfurhansson.com/SEGULHARPA-ELECTROMAGNETIC-HARP (kind of an
acoustic synthesizer/organ?)

the internal circuitry has patchpoints for experimenting with additional
processing/signal conditioning. right now I am using waveshapers to change
timbre/harmonics as you press harder/lighter on the capacitive touch sensor
keyboard on the front panel.

it works great, but i'd still like to explore other avenues for varying
timbre control. I feel my idea of a synced oscillator tethered to each
string is exciting as the sync artifacts will provide a much richer
harmonic response, that is if i can figure out how to implement it with
limited space and solve the challenge of signal conditioning before SYNC
input.

it doesn't have to be perfect, and sync errors as the signal grows stronger
could actually be an interesting addition to the instrument timbre. I would
probably add a VCA to the oscillator output to control the level of output
mixed into the feedback signal depending on how hard you press against the
keyboard (aftertouch).

thank you for your thoughts on this!
all the best,
-úlfur

fös., 22. feb. 2019 kl. 11:43 skrifaði Richie Burnett <