[sdiy] Homemade Memorymoog - update

Luís Marka luis.marka at terra.com.br
Mon Feb 18 18:17:40 CET 2019

Hey Grant!

I just linked to a part of the schematics because, well, they are huge!
I can provide the full page board diagram if you want to take a look,
just let me know.

On 17/02/2019 22:36, MTG wrote:
> The 27128 *maybe*. It's 4x the size of a 2732 and 1/4 of that seems to
> leave your schematic via a signal called ROM*.  Need to figure out
> what that is. See pin 12 on U9

The ROM signal out of U9 goes to a 40 pin connector that was made
available for future expansion: sequencer/MIDI boards, etc. I am keeping
this connector in the current board clone, but will get rid of it in the
compact version I am working on, have no plans to implement the
sequencer. Now, if I got it right, U9 will be gone and the OE pin in the
27C128 (pin 22) will receive its signal directly from pin 1 in U12... is
that correct, or am I missing some detail here?

> The SRAM you are OK with near as I can tell. You could use an Alliance
> 6264 from Mouser. That logic is butt-ugly though. I'm not sure how
> much you can really clean it up without a total redo. There are four
> off-page RAM signals, looks like another 8k x 8. Where do those go out
> of curiosity?

Those are data and address bus, plus RD and WR from the Z80 that are
used by the DMUX and keyboard/panel scan circuits.

The Memorymoog implements a mechanism to protect data RAM chips at
shutdown: it taps voltage directly from the rectifiers in the power
supply, before the filter capacitor. At shutdown, voltage in this line
drops a few milliseconds before the voltage in the main power bus due to
capacitance. The "power shutdown" circuit then feeds a low signal to
U22, which in turn disables the RAM chips before power is gone (hopefuly).

Still doing my homework on how to address the RAM chip should I go for
one single SRAM IC, I have not touched this type of circuit since the
early 90s....

Cheers!!