[sdiy] Noise Chip (was: Re: Homemade synth clone)

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Sat Feb 16 15:10:36 CET 2019

One other quirk of the MM5837 that hasn’t been mentioned yet is that the clock frequency is dependent on the supply voltage.

If you run it on a higher voltage, you get _better_ quality noise (I wouldn’t say “good”) but the loop repeats quicker: “chuffchuffchuff”.
If you go for lower voltage, the loop is stretched out, perhaps to something less obvious, but what you get is nothing like white noise any more. Instead you’re into the realm of 8-bit arcade explosions.

There’s a datsheet here, but it’s only a couple of pages. I’m sure I’ve seen a much more complete one (that mentions the clock oscillator/power voltage effect), but I apparently didn’t save a copy offline.

http://synton.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/mm5837.pdf

Tom

       Electric Druid
Synth & Stompbox DIY