[sdiy] Homemade synth clone

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Feb 16 08:02:21 CET 2019

Great project. I have a few ideas:

A) design a smaller board for the frequency pot(s) so that you can replace them later if you happen to find a dual concentric. There aren’t that many wires for a pot, so it shouldn’t be complex. Of course, your front panel will have to adapt to change from two separate pots to a single dual concentric.

B) I’d be tempted to collapse most of the digital parts into a modern micro controller, assuming that everything you need can be found in one chip. Most of the processor peripherals on vintage synths are now available in multiples inside modern chips. Even if one or two subsystems are missing, it’s still easier to interface those to a modern micro controller using a parallel bus peripheral. Then your board will be much smaller and much less expensive to build.

C) Digital noise should be easy to duplicate without the original chip. Ben covered that topic rather well.

Sounds like fun!

Brian Willoughby