[sdiy] Problems with linearized SSI2164 ?

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Thu Feb 14 14:37:45 CET 2019

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 at 00:54, Neil Johnson <neil.johnson71 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > In any case, I believe that the circuit Dan was using it in is exactly
> the
> > one given by Phillip Gallo in the datasheet, and it ain't working.  That
> > tells me that the ICs are defective.
>
> In this case, no - the circuit as built by Intellijel was not as Irwin or
> Gallo designed, as the loop compensation capacitor was wrong but a factor
> of 5ish (22p vs. 100p).

I'm glad the error was found and the mystery finally understood! :-)
HF oscillations seems to be one the most common mistakes we all make, and
then fail to realize for a while, blaming everything else around it since
the behaviour ends up wonky.

I've tested the SSI2164 as drop-in replacement in as many applications I
could and haven't been able to find any differences in behaviour - except
for generally better performance in THD & SNR. So I agree:

But you're right about one thing:  *Good job SSI!*

/mr