[sdiy] ESD-Mat?

Mike Beauchamp list at mikebeauchamp.com
Sun Feb 10 19:32:20 CET 2019

> I do have and use an ESD mat, but it’s apparently not sturdy enough and not really large enough.
> And I don’t like to have a sharp knife or the iron around it - which is contradictory. :/
> Any recommendation with what to cover the tabletop entirely in an affordable way?
> m.

I got a large ESD mat to fit my entire electronics bench from a Canadian
seller on ebay - it was much cheaper than digikey, etc. This is 48x30" I
believe and included the grounding point, grounding banana jack thing
and wrist strap. The seller had larger lengths as well. I also picked up
a nice large self-healing mat from an estate sale of a model plane
builder, which is perfect to cut on.

FWIW, the ESD mat does seem to be dying a slow death. The edges are
starting to dry up and crack, and the mat has become stained and
discolored. It is 4 years old at this point I believe.

Mike