[sdiy] shock

Roman modular at go2.pl
Sun Feb 10 13:41:01 CET 2019

Over the years I have developped a habit about statics, or a whole ritual. It's stronger than me now, I will do that without thinking of it, while I'm drunk or during sleep. And as rumour has it, we eastern-europeans are notoriously drunk. All tables are covered with grounded ESD mats, so whatever I take from there or put on the table, first touch the mat with other empty hand. Same thing when sitting or standing up, put my palm open on the mat and then get up - did you know how enormous charge is generated by getting up from a chair? Try sitting with short sleeves with arm always resting on the mat. Usually I wear ESD wrist wrap only when I'm standing or walking around, but when short sleeves thing is not possible, like during winter, I wear it all the time. And never ever pass anything to your colegue hand to hand. Lay it on the table first, then the other one picks it up, also first touching the table.   Roman  Dnia 10 lutego 2019 03:40 Michael Zacherl <sdiy-mz01 at blauwurf.info> napisał(a):  On 10 Feb 2019, at 02:39, Adam Inglis <21pointy at tpg.com.au> wrote:    On 10 Feb 2019, at 4:00 AM, MTG <grant at musictechnologiesgroup. wrote:   Not sure about that last suggestion. Old sage advice given to me when working with unknown voltage dangers: no rings and keep one hand in your pocket. No rings so you don't create shorts on your own (bracelets too I guess, etc). The one hand thing is to keep the shock from traveling across your chest (heart).   Also, use the back of the fingers or hand when unsure - finger and wrist flexor muscles react more strongly than the extensor muscles to powerful shocks (you’ve heard of the scenario where the victim couldn’t release their grip when shocked…)   Well, for checking/testing against potential mains levels I’d take a voltage detector anyway. ;)   I’m about to become paranoid regarding static (dis)charge.  I’ve been trained to handle *MOS digital parts with care, not so much with analogue ICs etc.  Well, I did have failing modules with no plausible explanation to what happened.  So, this MOTM-440, for instance, did I kill it by carelessly handling it? (asking myself)  m. (trying to calm down)    ______________________________  Synth-diy mailing list   Synth-diy at synth-diy.org  synth-diy.org synth-diy.org