[sdiy] Moog Voyager - No Osc Sound

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Sat Feb 9 14:14:02 CET 2019


Ouch. Sounds like static to me, but wouldn't do any harm to buzz out the modular case to your mains supply ground just to make sure the case is earthed properly.

50/60 Hz mains shock feels different to a static shock, and doesn't jump to your finger with a "snap" just before you touch it.

Static will also only bite once, not a second time if you touch the case immediately again. But obviously you have to pluck up the courage to touch again straight after being bitten! Probably not the best general safety advice though... "You've been shocked? Errm... Try touching it again!"

Better advice: If you anticipate that you might get static shocked then approach the surface with a knuckle, (less nerve endings,) or by holding out a metal object like a key, which will take a static charge and dissipate it painlessly over a larger surface area of skin :-)

-Richie,

Sent from my Xperia SP on O2

---- Michael Zacherl wrote ----

>> On 6 Feb 2019, at 20:43, ASSI <Stromeko at nexgo.de> wrote:
>> 
>> One of the things that people don't seem to appreciate enough is that the 
>> humidity in the air is a very important factor.  If you live in a place where 
>> the air gets dry, one of the most effective ways to mitigate the risk of ESD 
>> damage is to bring it back to around 40% relative humidity.
>
>I have no explanation why this is, but this winter  in my flat I get several very bad zaps a day.
>I don’t have a hygrometer, but it may well be more dry than usual here. :(
>Just yesterday, when I was trying to reach a power cable in my modular when swapping modules,
>I reached in from the front and got zapped badly somewhere inside it. 
>Not reassuring! :/
>m.
>_______________________________________________
>Synth-diy mailing list
>Synth-diy at synth-diy.org
>http://synth-diy.org/mailman/listinfo/synth-diy



More information about the Synth-diy mailing list