[sdiy] Chromatic Tuner Design

oren levy orenlevysticky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 05:20:10 CET 2019

Hi All,

I realize this isn’t directly synth related but it’s audio related electronics.

What are the preferred methods nowadays for designing accurate chromatic tuners for a range of instruments? I’d like to put together a chromatic tuner that I can hang on the wall that has a built in microphone to help tune instruments ranging from a bass (let’s say 30Hz) up to maybe 2k with better resolution than a snark tuner. The idea being that I can just play an open string on an acoustic guitar and look at the wall to see how far off I am. Or play an oscillator on my modular through my speakers and tune it.

I am aware of two ways of going about it at the moment: measuring the period of the wave and doing an FFT.
I can take the mic signal and condition it and square it off through a comparator to get a clean pulse to measure the period on a uC but I worry that some instruments put out some funky waves.

Are there any newer or more novel ways to measure the frequency of funky waves as low as 30Hz?

Rock & Roll,
Oren Levy