[sdiy] Moog Voyager - No Osc Sound

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Wed Feb 6 05:19:50 CET 2019

On Feb 5, 2019, at 1:07 PM, Mike Beauchamp <list at mikebeauchamp.com> wrote:
> I didn't know ESD damage could cause the part to fail years later.

The way you phrased that is confusing to me. ESD typically causes a part to fail immediately, and ESD can happen at any time.

Granted, there are ways to stress a part, such as ESD or other over-voltage conditions, that might not fry a part right away, but will start it down the path towards failing early.

> As someone that's DIY'd a lot of synth stuff in the past without too much thought to ESD, that kind of worries me. I now currently use a nice ESD mat when working on project, but still don't use a wrist-strap, etc.

You probably shouldn’t need a mat or wrist-strap to use electronics under normal conditions. The metal case is supposed to dissipate any ESD before it can get to the parts that might be damaged, and that’s part of the testing that UL and other companies do. Of course, modern electronics are in plastic cases, not metal enclosures, but they still should hold up to normal use.

However, if you’re going to open up your synth and repair or mod the insides, then you really need to take care. An ESD mat and wrist-strap would be a good investment for someone wanting to repair synths.

Brian Willoughby