[sdiy] Doepfer E510 Keyboard Scanner

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Wed Feb 6 05:04:57 CET 2019

I don’t think that the Doepfer E510 is compatible with standard synth keyboards.

I’m certainly not familiar with all keyboard wirings, but all of the ones I’ve looked at have a matrix of switches with 8 keys (rows) per column. Velocity keyboards have twice as many switches, but they’re still arranged in groups (rows) of 8. Such standard matrix wirings have 16 (non-velocity) or 32 (velocity) columns, and thus have 4-bit or 5-bit addresses. That would be a total of 13 pins between the processor and the keybed.

If I’m wrong, and there are common keyboards with wiring compatible with the E510, then please someone let me know.

The E510 is designed to scan one key at a time, reading just the two switches for velocity. I think you’d have to manually wire your own keybed to get that working. The limitation of the E510 seems to be that it doesn’t have enough pins on the chip to handle reading more that one key (one velocity switch pair) per address. The E510 literally has 128 columns, each with only 2 switches per row. That adds up to only 9 pins between the processor and the keybed.

The good news is that you shouldn’t have to program anything. I got the impression that it comes programmed already. I might be wrong, though, since I didn’t read the entire manual.

Bottom line: If I were to invest in any Keyboard Scanner, I’d want to make sure that it is plug compatible with standard keybeds, or at least compatible with what I had in stock.

Brian Willoughby