[sdiy] Moog Voyager - No Osc Sound

Anders Sponton anders.sponton at yahoo.se
Tue Feb 5 22:49:33 CET 2019

I remember fixing a Voyager with a faulty cap. This was when they were new at the market.No issues with faulty chips back then.I have no schematic so I can’t pinpoint the specific cap otherwise that it was located near one of the transistor arrays.I think it was one of the oscillators.

Skickat från Yahoo Mail för iPhone

Den tisdag, februari 5, 2019, 22:07, skrev Mike Beauchamp <list at mikebeauchamp.com>:

> If there's a substantial failure rate beyond expectations these parts
> eventually get shipped back to the manufacturer (called a field analysis
> return or FAR) to figure out why and to make sure it doesn't happen again.
> They'll also do things like recalling any units still in the distribution
> channel and figuring out what should happen to the parts already in customers'
> hands.  You really can't guess about the reason, it can literally be
> _anything_ in the thousands of steps in making an IC.  It can equally well be
> mishandling of the part during assembly (ESD damage most often being the
> culprit) or something called EOS (electrical overstress) - like using the part
> beyond what it's specified for, but without producing an immediate failure.

Thanks Achim! I didn't know ESD damage could cause the part to fail
years later. As someone that's DIY'd a lot of synth stuff in the past
without too much thought to ESD, that kind of worries me. I now
currently use a nice ESD mat when working on project, but still don't
use a wrist-strap, etc.

Mike