[sdiy] Moog Voyager - No Osc Sound

Mike Beauchamp list at mikebeauchamp.com
Tue Feb 5 22:07:40 CET 2019

> If there's a substantial failure rate beyond expectations these parts
> eventually get shipped back to the manufacturer (called a field analysis
> return or FAR) to figure out why and to make sure it doesn't happen again.
> They'll also do things like recalling any units still in the distribution
> channel and figuring out what should happen to the parts already in customers'
> hands.  You really can't guess about the reason, it can literally be
> _anything_ in the thousands of steps in making an IC.  It can equally well be
> mishandling of the part during assembly (ESD damage most often being the
> culprit) or something called EOS (electrical overstress) - like using the part
> beyond what it's specified for, but without producing an immediate failure.

Thanks Achim! I didn't know ESD damage could cause the part to fail
years later. As someone that's DIY'd a lot of synth stuff in the past
without too much thought to ESD, that kind of worries me. I now
currently use a nice ESD mat when working on project, but still don't
use a wrist-strap, etc.

Mike