[sdiy] Moog Voyager - No Osc Sound

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Feb 5 21:54:17 CET 2019

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 6:12:25 AM CET Mike Beauchamp wrote:
> Second question: I guess I always assumed that an IC would either work
> forever under normal use. What might have happened to these batches of
> IC's that Moog got in these Voyagers that would cause them to stop
> working only years down the road..

If there's a substantial failure rate beyond expectations these parts
eventually get shipped back to the manufacturer (called a field analysis
return or FAR) to figure out why and to make sure it doesn't happen again.
They'll also do things like recalling any units still in the distribution
channel and figuring out what should happen to the parts already in customers'
hands.  You really can't guess about the reason, it can literally be
_anything_ in the thousands of steps in making an IC.  It can equally well be
mishandling of the part during assembly (ESD damage most often being the
culprit) or something called EOS (electrical overstress) - like using the part
beyond what it's specified for, but without producing an immediate failure.

Regards,
Achim.