[sdiy] Standard markings for modular I/O & CV versus Audio?

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Sat Dec 21 00:28:35 CET 2019

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 at 12:07, john slee <indigoid at oldcorollas.org> wrote:

> * input and output jacks clearly indicated as such. Intellijel does this
> by inverting the background and text colours for output jacks.
> Nonlinearcircuits puts subtle but clearly visible rings around the output
> jacks.

Yes, marking the outputs is a good idea - and using rectangles around the
outputs has almost become the convention across several manufacturers.

Inverting some text makes it harder to read, similarly to how it's more or
less impossible to see the figure and the inverted figure at the same time
in optical illusions like these:
https://www.illusionsindex.org/i/rubin-s-vase

> * no irritating knobs that change behaviour from "provide CV" when no
> corresponding input cable is connected to "attenuate input CV" when you
> plug a cable in. I realise lots of people want modules with tiny cramped
> unusable panels, but ... extremely no.

So... no MS-20 for you! ;-) Appropriately used I think it's a great
feature, the only drawback being that you need to keep in mind that one
more thing happens as you plug or unplug a cable.

> * Layout variety. A system full of modules with extremely similar layouts
> can be super annoying to navigate. I'm not sure how much awareness there
> was of this when the major systems (Roland, Moog, Buchla, etc) were
> designed, but you can often identify at a surprising distance which module
> is which, purely based on the control layout. ie. don't be like this
> example:
> https://www.matrixsynth.com/2013/09/rob-hordijk-modular-at-electro-music.html

Agreed - let the modules have personality!

> On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 at 23:28, Eric Schlappi <eric.schlappi at gmail.com>
> wrote:

I'm with Vladimir. I put a solid box around my outputs and encourage people
> to use CV and audio interchangeably.

Amen. :-)

/mr