[sdiy] Enveloppe follower

ulfur hansson ulfurh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 17:32:20 CET 2019

thats an interesting idea - it might be good to test these things in the
digital domain (max, PD, supercollider etc) before committing to a build,
especially if what you need ends up being more complex.

fim., 5. des. 2019 kl. 11:16 skrifaði Florian Anwander <
fanwander at mnet-online.de>:

> Hi Jean
> Am 04.12.19 um 17:31 schrieb Jean Bender:
>
> discovered that most of them was pretty good for following musical
> instruments signals, but not so much for more electronic audio
> signal..
> I mean, i play a lot of ambient and noise stuff, including sounds
> without so much attack, even if they have some relief.
>
> And that's my point :  i'd like to build myself an enveloppe follower
> able to be really subtle, and able to be effective even on droning
> sounds...
> So where should i take a look ? What i have to be careful of ?
>
> Brian wrote all the theory already.
>
> Your main problem is: drones typically don't have a significant change in
> amplitude. On the other side: drones often change the colour of sound, the
> spectrum.
>
> So I think you don't need a simple envelope-Follower, but you might need
> something more complex. I could imagine something like the analysis section
> of a vocoder, with an circuit after it, that outputs a voltage that
> corresponds to the frequency range or frequency weight.
>

> I did not think it completely over, but a first attempt might look like
> this:
>
> A state-variable-filter splits the signal in two signals: high and low.
> Both signals then are fed through an  envelope follower each. Now the
> output voltages of the two env-followers are subtracted. The result would
> be something like:
>
>    - full frequency-spectrum = 0V
>    - only high frequencies = +maxV
>    - only low frequencies = -maxV
>
> I am not sure, whether the result is really interesting or usable, but it
> might be worth a try.
>

> Florian

ulfurhansson.com
cargocollective.com/ulfur