[sdiy] vocoder filters

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sat Aug 31 23:22:21 CEST 2019

Not really.  It's a full-wave rectifier followed by a standard LP filter
stage tuned to about 1/4 of the expected incoming frequency followed by a
notch filter tuned to twice the incoming frequency.  I also use a full wave
rectifier instead of the normal half wave rectifier, because I figure this
gives faster integration.  This is why the ripple is at twice the incoming
frequency, and a notch filter knocks it out nicely.  Through the judicious
choice of gain at the LP filter, the envelope follows the waveform tops more
or less exactly, and comes up to full strength within two periods of the
incoming waveform, with ripple which is inconsequential.  For a 10Vpp
waveform coming in, the envelope rides at 5V, which will turn on my favored
linearized 2164 VCA design to unity gain.

  _____