[sdiy] vocoder filters

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Sat Aug 31 12:17:07 CEST 2019

I'd be inclined to agree....

Soldering up 160 biquad filters out of analogue components is a bit of drag, compared to just calling one filter routine multiple times with different coefficients.

It's also obviously much easier to change things like filter Q, band spacing, etc. to assess the audible influence in software rather than hardware.

Even if my end goal was building a hardware vocoder, I think I'd simulate it digitally first to check it would sound how I wanted before working out series/parallel component combinations, ordering all those components and settling in for hours of soldering. But once you've got a bunch of digital filters you're happy with simulated on a PC it's relatively easy to move it onto a stand alone dsp Dev board and shove it in a box.

-Richie,

---- Gordonjcp wrote ----