[sdiy] vocoder filters

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Sat Aug 31 11:59:09 CEST 2019

I used a bank of twenty 8th order bandpass filters for analysis and another bank of twenty identical 8-pole filters for synthesis in my dsPIC vocoder. I can't remember the exact Q factors for the stages, but it needs to be quite high in order to make the filters sharp enough to minimise overlap when they are spaced closely like 1/4 octave spacing across the audio spectrum.

Lots of closely spaced high Q filter bands gives the vocoder a very clean and detailed sound not unlike autotune. Whereas a handful of fewer lower Q filters spread across the audio band gives a move synthetic robot voice quality which sounds more "approximate" and lacks intelligibility.

More details of my implementation are here :

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/temp/vocex.htm

Hope this helps,

-Richie,

---- David G Dixon wrote ----