[sdiy] Article "Analyzing the Moog Filter"

Donald Tillman don at till.com
Thu Aug 22 22:51:40 CEST 2019

I think he's got a point.  How many filter topologies are there that are analog, audio range, and accurately voltage controlled over a substantial range?   I count two.

The Diode Ladder is essentially derivative of the Moog, even though it works differently.

There are VCFs based on the Sallen-Key, or any other active filter topology, hacked up for voltage control, sure.  Though they have less precise tuning.

In practice, don't the Moog Ladder and the State Variable account for 95% or more of the filters used in synths?  What am I missing?

I have several filter topologies of my own, of course, so I'm not saying there are inherent limitations or anything.

  -- Don
--
Donald Tillman, Palo Alto, California
http://www.till.com