[sdiy] stereo optical microscope for assembly and repair

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Wed Aug 21 10:00:39 CEST 2019

It's used for both, inspection and soldering. When soldering, it's
soldering all the time, solder iron rarely rests on the stand. And I use
a lot of flux gel, so fumes all the way. And it's close to the lens indeed.
The lens themselves are not the problem, this can be wiped easily,
although multiple cleans may damage anti-reflex coating. But it gets
inside through gaps and sits on the prism. That causes gradual
degradation in view that you cannot notice, but at some point you get
the feeling "I can't remember being it so foggy" and have to clean.

I used to read 0603 markings without any optical aid, also soldered
0.4mm pitch QFN and alikes with bare eyes. Now I can barely see strips
on THT resistor. But the microscope makes it possible to pretend I'm 17
again.

Roman