[sdiy] stereo optical microscope for assembly and repair

sleepy_dog at gmx.de sleepy_dog at gmx.de
Mon Aug 19 20:47:35 CEST 2019

Roman Sowa wrote:
> For years I've been using regular Bresser scientific binocular
> microscope bought for about $400 or so if I remember. It has 7x to 40x
> zoom which was indeed helpful and used full range a few times.
> Soldering fumes poluted optics over time and cleaning is a lot of pain.

Would one of those help?
https://vkrepair.com/best-solder-fume-extractor/

I have the DLX426, which is, granted, not very stong, you pretty much
need to have it where the soldering happens, maybe 10cm away. But what
it does is nice for the money.
Or if it's not about capturing the fumes, just keeping them off the
lense - put some larger diameter CPU fan in some wood frame/stand to one
side of the scope to just blow the fumes away?

- Steve