[sdiy] [OT] Vactrol Driving

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Sat Sep 29 01:12:36 CEST 2018

There’s a number of variables beyond the LDR response, although that is definitely important.

Some of the others are the envelope generator gain and attack and decay times and the LED forward voltage and drive current.

There are lots of combinations that work, but certain elements need to make sense together. You can build a perfectly good envelope filter with the VTL5C3 (I’ve done it recently, for example) but the rest of the circuit needs to match what it expects. The same goes for other vactrols or other combinations of parts.