[sdiy] Best Op-Amps

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Fri Oct 26 07:17:35 CEST 2018

Yeah, there are literally 10,000 choices when it comes to op-amps. There are so many parameters.

Sometimes, certain parameters make no difference at all in your circuit. Other times, the parameters make a small difference, so you balance the tradeoffs. Then, of course, certain circuits might demand the best possible performance in one parameter or a few, so you have to balance cost versus performance and tradeoffs with less important issues.

Your best bet is to study what Jung and other have written so that you understand which parameters matter in your case, and then use something like Mouser’s parameter selection database to narrow in on a few choices out of ten thousand.

When you design, stick to common op-amp packages. When you build, be sure to try out several options that have critical parameters in the range that you need. Last time I ended up going through four op-amps before finding one with low distortion and rail-to-rail performance (since I had USB 5 V power as a limit).

Brian