[sdiy] Through-zero FM - how much?

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Thu Oct 18 16:55:45 CEST 2018

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018, Ian Fritz wrote:
> I believe you are refering to the modulation index m ranging up to 8 or 10?
>  This is not what the OP asked. The modulation index is the change in
> carrier frequency divided by the modulation frequency.

I'm interested in what the range of the modulation-amount knob and
associated CV ought to be.  The core sees one linear control current,
which comes from an exponential function of V/oct CV multiplied by a
linear function of modulation CV.  I'm interested in knowing what values
of the modulation-CV coefficient are useful.  How much deviation, compared
to the carrier, do people want to use in practice?  At maximum deviation,
how much does a volt of modulation CV change the frequency?

It should go without saying that I mean when the carrier frequency
is nonzero.

--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before tribes.