[sdiy] Obtaining Bandpass and High-Pass Functions From A Four-Pole Low-Pass

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 16 10:13:36 CEST 2018

Mark,

To get proper bandpass responses from a cascaded-stage four-pole filter, you
have to sum the (input + feedback) signal in to the pole mixer as well.

If we take the following gain factors for {Input+Feedback, Stage 1, Stage 2,
Stage 3, Stage 4}, 4P HP mode is obtained when those gain factors are
{1,4,6,4,1}.  Also note that every other signal is inverted in the list.
Sum those up and you'll get 4P HP with the transfer function s^4/(s+1)^4.
The Intellijel Polaris filter (which I designed) gets this HP mode as well
as the 1P, 2P, and 3P modes, plus about 20 other useful modes.  I can send
you a list of all the necessary gain factors if you're interested.