[sdiy] Obtaining Bandpass and High-Pass Functions From A Four-Pole Low-Pass

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 15:25:17 CEST 2018

To get a 4-pole high-pass filter response you have to take a weighted
sum of all 4 stage outputs plus the original input.  This produces a
fairly decent high-pass response provided you use very tight tolerance
resistors to get exactly the right mixing ratios for the five signals.

The reason why you can't get a 4-pole high-pass response by just
subtracting a 4-pole low-pass response from the original input, is
because of the phase-shift introduced by each stage.  You can use that
simple approach for a 1st order filter, and even for a 2nd order filter
with the right Q factor, but for higher order filters it gets more
complicated.

-Richie,