[sdiy] Polymoog resonator question

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sun Oct 14 10:18:59 CEST 2018

Hi Tim and SDIY Team,

Tonight I finally finished the resonator board, but it's useless without
controls of course, so I have just laid out a 4" x 4" panel PCB with all of
the necessary panel components on it (16 pots, 4 DPDT On-On-On switches, 2
SPDT On-On switches, and 6 jacks).  I'll try to make that tomorrow, but I
have to buy some 10k pots, as I only have 100k on hand but the resonance
circuit needs 10k, so I'll probably have to wait until Monday when I can
make a trip to Lee's in Vancouver.

Concerning the ARP Soloist filters, I have an old and very broken Soloist
sitting under a cabinet in my living room collecting dust which I acquired
from Dave Leith.  The main reason I wanted this beast was so I could play
with the filters, and this was entirely because I love the sounds that Tony
Banks obtained on those old Genesis records (Riding the Scree, Blood on the
Rooftops, etc).  It was going to be a project for last year when I was on
sabbatical, but I never got around to it.  I'm going to try to do something
with it in the next couple of months, though.

The ARP resonators are completely non-adjustable.  They are just fixed
T-filters with different component values.  There is a resonator switching
logic circuit (with NAND gates and NOT gates) which turns these resonators
off and on.  The resonators take a pulse waveform in and are arranged in
parallel.  The inverters of a 7405 (which have open-collector outputs) are
connected directly to the filters, and I believe that they ground the signal
when on to turn off the resonator, but when off, they have little or no
effect.  That's how I interpret the schematic, but it is 1:00 am and I'm not
really familiar with 7405s, so I could be misinterpreting it badly.  It's
probably some trick that every "grey eminence" knows very well, but that I'd
have to spend an hour or so trying to understand.

  _____